Last Updated on February 16, 2022
When taking care of a newborn, the best nursery glider will make your life so much better. Keep reading to find out how to find the best nursery chair for your family.
Key Points of Best Nursery Gliders for Busy Parents
|When choosing a glider, the most important aspects for men are: |
1) Men need a big glider chair
2) The nursery chair must be comfortable
3) It should match the style of your nursery
4) Extra storage space is always welcome
5) DadProgress best overall pick is Babyletto Kiwi Electronic Glider (Check The Latest Price on Amazon)as it’s a large modern electronic reclining glider with a weight limit of 300lb and perfect also for tall parents. Additionally, it comes with a USB charging port
Picking a Nursery Chair- Glider vs Rocking Chair
Rocking calms babies as it mimics the waling pattern of the mother (or so the theory goes). As a result, most parents opt for a moving nursery chair. A glider moves on a stationary frame where’s a rocking chair has curved bands attached to the legs.
Many parents have discovered that a glider works better in the nursery than a typical rocking chair for the following reasons:
- Best nursery gliders have a consistent movement that helps to settle a restless baby
- They often include other features like ottomans and the ability to recline
- Instead of the arc-like motion of a rocking chair, gliders move back-and-forth. So they need less work from parents
Why to Look for the Best Nursery Glider?
New parents will find themselves in a glider a lot and at all hours of the day.
Nursery gliders can be used for bonding, soothing, napping, and nursing. So it is essential to have one that is comfortable for both of you.
This is A QUICK BUYING GUIDE. I’ll start with aspects that are especially important for new fathers though.
And if you are a woman and looking for a nursery glider, it’s a good idea also to consider your partner:) If he spends more time in the glider, you’ll hopefully have a couple of more hours for yourself 🙂
“Women make or influence 85% of all purchasing decisions (…) Women control more than 60% of all personal wealth in the U.S”
Ekaterina Walter – Social Innovator at Intel
Dad-Friendly Gliders: Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Nursery Glider
1. You are Looking for a big Glider Chair With a Spacious Seat
Dad-friendly gliders should be BIG enough. No man wants to squeeze himself to a tiny chair. No, men need a lot of space, and this also applies when we are sitting!
2. Take a Look at the Glider Weight Limit
It’s important to take the weight limit into account when choosing a nursery chair. It’s true that the official limit usually somewhat underestimates the capability of the product, but it’s better not to test it. You probably don’t want to buy a 300-dollar chair and risk breaking it.
Many nursery gliders have a weight limit of around 250lb, but you may also encounter surprisingly small official limits of around 225lb. Additionally, some manufacturers don’t even give you the exact number (at least not in the large print). This all said, swiveling gliders tend to do better (the weight limit is often 250lb-300lb).
Babyletto Kiwi glider (also sold on Amazon) has one of the biggest official weight limits of 300lb.
Rocking chairs don’t have moving mechanical parts, so the manufacturers don’t usually give a weight limit (similarly to your regular wooden chair). For example, 260lb isn’t a problem for the best rocking chairs.
3. Extra Storage Space is Always a Bonus
Storage space near a glider is essential for holding a book or an iPad.
When our baby was under three months old, he woke easily and so I let him take naps on my stomach so my wife could have a little rest.
In those precious moments, I was able to read papers if I remember to put them near me.
That said, the best nursery gliders for dads should have pockets in the padded armrests. It’s not a perfect world though…such chairs are quite hard to find.
When choosing a glider with built-in storage space, make sure to check from a seated position (or read the reviews) how easy the storage pocket is to reach.
4. The Best Nursery Gliders Should be Comfortable
Dad-friendly nursing chairs should recline and have a built-in foot-rest (or be glider and ottoman combos). Additionally, ample padding is a must, and at least for bigger parents, the arm rests should also be generously padded.
A comfortable glider should offer lumbar support because nursing and putting your little one to sleep can take a long time. With an adjustable backrest, you can find just the right position for the most comfort. Some models also come with an extra pillow for even better lumbar support.
Ottomans help you to find a better position for yourself and keep that position longer. A built-in foot-rest is an excellent space-saving alternative to an ottoman though.
With the ability to put yourself in a more comfortable sleeping position, the recliner can help you get a little sleep when you can. If the comfort is optimal even for your naps, then it’s a good nursing chair, and your partner will agree.
5. Think Ahead and Choose an Appropriate Style
Nursery gliders or rocking chairs should be part of the nursery decor. They should suit the nursery theme. This said it’s always a good idea to think ahead.
If you think the nursery glider may one day end up in the man cave, then the cottage and country styles may not be the best. But hey, it’s a personal choice and there may be somebody else in the family who wants it.
I’ve covered the styles of nursery gliders in the next big paragraph.
6. Does it Swivel?
The swivel feature on a glider can be a godsend if you can’t quite get up to reach something without waking your sleeping baby.
7. The Best Nursery Glider Should be Well Made
Durability is an essential feature of a great nursery glider. You don’t want to pay a lot of money for something that falls apart after your first child.
Not planning to have multiple children? No worries, your used best nursery glider may make another new parent very happy.
So it’s a good idea to buy a nursery glider that has an excellent track record with durability.
8. Materials Used Should be Durable and Safe
You will find that most nursery chairs on the market are made of a combination of composites and softwood. There’s nothing wrong with this approach and the best nursery gliders still have sturdy construction. This said if you are looking for something to last for years and years, try to find a nursing chair with a hardwood frame.
It’s worth noting that some models are GreenGuard Gold certified to prove that the product doesn’t pollute the air around your baby. DaVinci Piper Swivel Glider (Check The Latest Price On Amazon) is one such example.
9. Enclosed Ball Bearings are a Nice Feature
When choosing a glider, you want to make that you pick one that actually glides. All the glider models on the market may glide but some do it better than others.
Models with enclosed ball bearings offer an especially smooth gliding motion. Additionally, nursing chairs with this feature tend to have a longer life.
10. How Easy it is to keep it Clean?
Best upholstered gliders are made of materials that are stain-resistant and easy to spot clean.
Most wooden gliders will include removable cushions, but finding a model that lets you machine wash the coverings isn’t easy. I’ve featured three such models here, and all manufacturers recommend to spot clean.
If you want to use the glider for many years and have it also look good, then something with patterns is a good choice. Patterns make it harder to see those milk stains.
And don’t forget that in less than a year your baby is already crawling around and chewing everything…
Do you want to use the baby glider in different rooms? In that case, the best nursery glider for you is something that is easy to maneuver and not too heavy.
12. How Noisy it is?
Moving objects make a little sound now and then, but the best nursery glider shouldn’t be so loud that it wakes your baby after all the hard work.
It’s, of course, hard to know if the gliding mechanism of a particular model is silent enough, so it’s worthwhile to read the reviews (as in this article).
And don’t forget that while a rocking chair surely is a nursery classic, it tends to make more noise than a modern glider. But for parents who prefer the smooth rocking motion of a rocker, I’ve included a review of one of the best rocking chairs:)
13. Decide Beforehand on how Much Would You pay for the Best Nursery Glider
Recliners tend to cost more. So if you’re looking for a big reclining nursery glider, then be prepared to pay over 300 dollars.
But if that’s not an essential feature for you, then you may be able to get one for less than half of that (around 150 dollars).
The prices change frequently, and this is just an approximation. You can get the latest price by clicking on the affiliate links in this article.
Gliders are made of wood only, or they can be upholstered. They come in a wide range of patterns, fabrics, and styles. Here you can read about the main trends.
Although you may want the best nursery glider out there, it may be that you end up with two equally good options. In that case, it’s worth thinking about the design of your nursery and choosing a glider that better matches it.
- Traditional Nursery Glider: With a traditional glider, you get a timeless look that will work with any nursery décor. Made with a range of materials, this style can be anywhere from an upholstered glider with padded arms to a classic wood glider
- Contemporary and Modern Nursery Gliders: These are available in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and patterns. When you compare them to other gliders on the market, you will notice that they are more structurally defined and have cleaner lines.
- Cottage and Country Style Nursery Gliders: With the cottage and country style, you can add a more feminine look to a baby room. Found in floral motifs and pastel hues, these are often a good choice for a girl’s nursery. It doesn’t mean you can’t buy it for a boy’s room of course.
5 Best Nursery Gliders- DadProgress Top Picks With Reviews
Weight limit: 300lb
- This is a big glider (weight limit is 300lb ) so it should be suitable for all parents. Dads over 6 feet can still rest their backs on it
- It has good neck support with a high back design so you can soothe your baby in comfort. A lumbar pillow is included to help those with back problems
- Babyletto Kiwi is a modern glider and you can usually choose between four different colors. This means that it doesn’t look out of place in other rooms once your baby has outgrown it
- The best feature of the Kiwi glider is that it reclines almost flat (270 degrees) and you can achieve that with a push of a button. Just press the hidden controls and it reclines quietly. This feature is especially useful if the mother is recovering from a C-section or for late-night feedings
- The Kiwi glider is effortless to assemble
- USB charging ports are an excellent novel feature of this glider
- This glider is Greenguard Gold certified so it doesn’t emit harmful chemicals to your nursery
- There’s no storage space
- It tends to be the most expensive option on this list
- If the motor happens to break, you’re unable to use this glider. That said, there’s an extended warranty of three years for electronic parts
Weight limit: 300lb
- This is a big glider (weight limit is 300lb ) so it should be suitable for all parents. Dads who are over 6 feet, have found it comfortable
- This 100% polyester glider is easy to clean as it’s a stain resistant fabric
- It has good neck support with the high back design so you can soothe your baby in comfort. A lumbar pillow is included to help those with back problems
- It’s one of the better-looking gliders on the market. The DaVinci Piper Glider is available in four different colors: Gray with piping, dark gray, dark gray with cream piping, and navy
- It’s a contemporary glider so it will also work well in other rooms long after your baby has outgrown the need for it
- The DaVinci Piper Swivel Glider features ease of use and excellent maneuverability. It allows you to rest easy while gliding backward and forwards as well as swivel when necessary (it has a 360 degrees swivel motion)
- It’s a durable and soft glider
- It’s a recliner, but keep in mind that you can’t rock the chair in that position. It doesn’t recline completely flat though
- This nursery chair is very easy to put together
- It’s GreenGuard Gold Certified which means that it’s not polluting the air of your nursery
- There’s no storage space
- This Davinci can be the best glider recliner for most parents, but it makes some noise
Weight limit: 250lb
- Generous storage pockets are one of the best features of this glider
- This is a traditional glider that suits well to all nurseries. You can choose between many different colors
- It’s an average size glider, the weight limit is 250lb. The static weight limit is 300lb. That said, dads over 6 ft tend to find it uncomfortable
- Storkcraft Glider uses an exclusive gliding system that features sealed ball bearings. As I’ve explained in the guide, this feature will give you a very smooth glide
- The assembly is very easy
- This glider comes with a matching ottoman that glides with the chair
- It’s quite easy to clean
- Storkcraft has an excellent homepage. It makes it easy to check the details about the warranty and learn about the firm in general
- You can usually get this chair with a reasonable price, but prices often change
- It’s not the most comfortable nursery glider out there because it doesn’t recline
- It’s only 21,5 inches wide, so it may be too narrow for many dads
Weight limit: 300lb
- This is a modern nursery glider so it will work in other parts of the house which is a great feature to have once the baby has grown out of it
- Gabby Pillowback is a good choice for a small baby’s room as it’s not very wide, but the weight limit is generous
- It’s a very comfortable glider as it offers a 360-degree swivel and the removable cushion offer excellent lumbar support
- This nursery glider is very easy to assemble
- You can choose between three different colors
- The material is Greenguard Gold certified. Additionally, the FSC certification ensures that the required wood is not harvested illegally
- There’s no storage space
- Big dads and taller parents (over 6 ft) will probably find it uncomfortable. The seating area is quite narrow (around 20 inches). This said it can be a bonus if you’re looking for something for small spaces
- It’s not a recliner, and you also don’t get a matching ottoman. As a result, you may not be able to take the most comfortable position when calming your fussy baby
Weight limit: 300lb
- It’s a gorgeous nursery glider ideal for tall parents. The weight limit is 300lb, and dads who are around 6ft have used it without problems
- Although it’s only available in two light colors (gray and cream), it’s effortless to clean
- You get an incredibly comfortable glider that swivels 360 degrees, reclines almost flat at the push of a button, is soft, and has padded arm cushions
- This nursery chair reclines automatically at the push of a button, and the mechanism is quiet
- You also get a built-in USB port and a charger
- The materials are Greenguard Gold certifies, so this swivel glider doesn’t pollute the air in the baby’s nursery. Additionally, it uses some recycled plastic, and the wood is FSC certified. As a result, you can call it an eco-friendly nursery glider
- It’s hard to find gliders with extra storage pockets, and this one also come without them
Rocking Chair as an Alternative to Best Nursery Gliders
Some parents find a rocking motion more relaxing than a smooth gliding motion. So don’t forget that the best rockers can be a superb alternative to the best nursery gliders. This said, I prefer the latter just because I like to nap in reclined position:)
Weight limit: That of a regular chair
- This comfortable rocking chair is ideal even for tall parents over 6ft
- You can choose between two neutral colors (gray and beige) and it has a beautiful walnut finish
Any of these five top nursery gliders could be the best for you. But from the dad’s point of view, Babyletto Electronic Glider With a USB Port (Check the Latest Price on Amazon) is the winner because it’s a sturdy oversized nursery glider. The weight limit is 300lb, and it’s also great for tall parents over 6ft. The Kiwi nursery chair reclines electronically, so it’s very comfortable if you’ve got back issues or recovering from a C-section.
DaVinci Piper Swivel Glider (Check The Latest Price On Amazon) is another excellent option thanks to the generous weight limit and a smaller price tag (usually).
If you’re looking for a traditional wooden glider, then check out the Storcraft chair (also sold on Amazon). You can choose between many different colors, it has storage pockets, and the weight limit (250lb-300lb) is acceptable. That said, many dads tend to find it uncomfortable because it’s quite narrow. And it doesn’t recline…
And if you’re looking for an alternative solution then the Baxton Studio rocking chair (also sold on Amazon) is one of the best rocking chairs.
Hopefully, this article helps you to find the best glider for your nursery! Thanks for reading!